Happiness Charge Pretty Cure! was first announced on by Toei in the Japan Patent Office for a variety of goods on October 2 and made public on October 24, 2013. In an issue of Nikkan Sports' Pretty Cure Shimbun newspaper, Doki Doki! Pretty Cures Producer, Hiroaki Shibata, confirmed the series after confirming Doki Doki! Pretty Cures 49 episode run and will air at the beginning of February 2014. A posting for Nintendo 3DS merchandise on Amazon revealed designs for the two main heroines, Cure Lovely and Cure Princess.
On January 3, 2014, Megumi Nakajima of Macross Frontier fame announced she will voice the series' main character, Aino Megumi. She stated that Pretty Cure was something she has adored for a long time, so it was like a dream to be allowed to star in it herself. It is the first time she took another lead anime role after announcing her indefinite hiatus from her music career at the end of March 2014. A day later, the first commercial for the series was aired at the end of Doki Doki! Pretty Cure, showcasing Cure Lovely and Cure Princess's transformations.
All around the world, Pretty Cures have been fighting against the invasion of the enemy known as Saiark! Shirayuki Hime, the princess of Blue Sky Kingdom is, in fact, a Pretty Cure, but unable to defeat the enemy alone, she is fallen behind the others and is in a quite a terrible situation. Then, on her quest to find a partner, she meets Aino Megumi (Cure Lovely), they form a team called Happiness Charge Pretty Cure. Later in the story, they are joined by Cure Honey (Omori Yuko) and Cure Fortune (Hikawa Iona), they fight against the Phantom Empire, defeat the Saiarks and collect all PreCards to fulfill their wish! With the dress-up theme beloved by girls, a completely different Pretty Cure story begins!
- Aino Megumi (愛乃 めぐみ Aino Megumi?) / Cure Lovely (キュアラブリー Kyua Raburī?) is the protagonist whose redeeming features are her happy-go-lucky attitude and smile. When people who feel troubled or depressed want to be left alone, she unintentionally meddles in their issues. Though she is awkward/tactless, and her attempts at helping others often end in failure, she thoroughly looks to the positive and is skilled at seeing the good in people. She has an interest in cute fashion, but her fashion sense is not exactly the best. Her standard signature color is pink, and she can change into two alternate forms, the red "Cherry Flamenco" (チェリーフラメンコ Cherī Furamenko?) and the yellow "Lollipop Hip Hop" (ロリポップヒップホップ Roripoppu Hippu Hoppu?).
- Shirayuki Hime (白雪 ひめ Shirayuki Hime?) / Cure Princess (キュアプリンセス Kyua Purinsesu?) is the princess of the Blue Sky Kingdom, a rather selfish and spoiled fashion victim. To save the Blue Sky Kingdom from being totally ruled by the evil organization of the Phantom Kingdom, she becomes a Pretty Cure, except she is easily scared and will immediately try to escape from in the middle of fights. Because of her shyness, she never had friends until meeting Megumi. Her standard signature color is light blue, and she can change into two alternate forms, the dark blue "Sherbet Ballet" (シャーベットバレエ Shābetto Baree?) and the green "Macadamia Hula Dance" (マカダミアフラダンス Makadamia Fura Dansu?). She is represented by circles, the Moon, the Sun and feathers.
- Omori Yuko (大森 ゆうこ Ōmori Yūko?) / Cure Honey (キュアハニー Kyua Hanī?) is Megumi’s friend and classmate. She has this snugly and fluffy atmosphere about her, so she has a soothing personality that calms her surrounding. Her home is a lunch store, so she loves eating and making food. Her standard signature color is yellow, and she can change into the blue and red "Popcorn Cheer" (ポップコーンチアー Poppukōn Chiā?) and orange "Coconut Samba" (ココナッツ サンバ Kokonattsu Sanba?). She is represented by clovers.
- Hikawa Iona (氷川いおな Hikawa Iona?) / Cure Fortune (キュアフォーチュン Kyua Fōchun?) is a Pretty Cure who helps the weak and has a strong sense of justice and a gentleness when she consoles people. Her parents disappeared around the time Saiarks started appearing. With her sense of duty as a Cure and her excellent fighting skills, she goes on her own to bring down the Saiark one by one. Her standard signature color is purple. In episode 19, Iona revealed to the Cures that she is Cure Fortune. She can change into the two alternate forms, the pink and blue "Anmitsu Komachi" (あんみつ小町 Anmitsu Komachi?) and the turquoise and yellow "Pine Arabian" (パインアラビア Paīn Arabia?). She is represented by stars.
- Ribbon (リボン Ribon?) is Hime’s mediator, as well as Cure Lovely, Cure Princess, and Cure Honey's fairy partner. Despite her cute appearance, she is silver-tongued and much gutsier than Hime.
- Glasan (グラサン Gurasan?) is Cure Fortune's fairy partner. She helps Cure Fortune during her battles. Glasan can produce PreCards like Ribbon.
- Blue (ブルー Burū?) is the spiritual being of Earth who endows the heroines with the power of Pretty Cure.
- Queen Mirage (クイーン・ミラージュ Kuīn Mirāju?) / Cure Mirage (キュアミラージュ Kyua Mirāju?) is the ruler of the Phantom Empire. She likes to see people fall into despair and sorrow. She has butterfly wings and uses a staff as a weapon. She detests love and relationships. In episode 13, it was revealed that she was once in love with Blue, but under some circumstances, she then became evil, reject all love and happiness in the world. She used to be a Cure named Cure Mirage. Her Saiarks creates fog and utter chaos. In episode 43, she was purified thanks to the Cures and her love for Blue was restored. She had also retained her Cure powers once she was purified.
- Deep Mirror (ディープミラー Dīpu Mirā?) / Red (レッド Reddo?) is Queen Mirage's adviser. He is a mirror with an unknown figure inside the mirror who shows different things such as a map of where the Phantom Empire's influences are and any new Cures. Often give orders to the generals under her command. He is the highest rank in the group. It is revealed that he was the one who controlled Queen Mirage. His true identity is Red, his hair color is crimson and his appearance closely resembles Blue. He was the god of Red Planet, but when all life on it disappeared, he grew jealous of his younger brother, Blue, who protected the Earth. He then attempted to destroy it so he would feel the same despair. In episode 49, he was purified and he learned from his mistakes, now helping to restore the planet with the help of Blue and Mirage.
- Namakelder (ナマケルダ Namakeruda?) is the first general of the Phantom Empire. He has grasshopper antennae on his hat and wields a cane. He is perceptive and polite but very lazy, even to the point of considering listening to a song too much work. He is angered when he is disturbed in his naps and targets mostly energetic people to teach them a lesson about the greatness of being lazy. He is surprisingly passionate about baseball. His Saiarks spread mold across the area. In episode 49, it was revealed he used to work as a businessman until he fell out with his lover. He goes back to working at his job and still keeps a bit of his laziness.
- Hosshiwa (ホッシーワ Hosshīwa?) is the second general of the Phantom Empire. She has "Marie Antoinette" locks and wears a pink lolita dress, a hat with a red apple as a symbol and owns an umbrella that she can also use as a weapon. She is a spoiled, wealthy lady who desires everything, especially her beloved sweets. She can disguise herself to fool the Cures and lead them into traps. Her rival is Cure Honey. She dislikes friendships and family bonds, arguing it is best to be alone, and accordingly targets mostly families and weddings. Her Saiarks turn the area into one with chocolate, cakes and other sweets and desserts. In episode 49, it was revealed she used to be a kindergarten teacher. She goes back to teaching while still showing some signs of her selfish personality.
- Oresky (オレスキー Oresukī?) is the third general of the Phantom Empire. He is a physically strong man who sports self-made medals on a military uniform with Saiark-like glasses as a symbol. He aims at being the best, strongest and coolest in any field, and aggressively targets people who might threaten his position as number one. Oresky is bossy and overbearing, but also shows a childish curious side and insecurity that motivates his aggression - in his own words, if he is not the best, he is nothing. Oresky celebrates himself as the leader of the trio, going as far as to call it "Oresky Trio", and is under the impression that Hosshiwa and Namakelder admire him. Though they accept his commands, he is cheerfully unaware they talk badly about him behind his back. His Saiarks turn the area into a barren wasteland and create dark clouds. In episode 49, it was revealed he used to be a police officer. Going back to his old job, he now aims at being the number one in being helpful.
- Phantom (ファントム Fantomu?) / PhanPhan (ファンファン FanFan?) / Cure Unlovely (キュアアンラブリー Kyua Anraburī?) is the fourth and elite general of the Phantom Empire. He is a man who wears a white coat and holds a sword with a gauntlet at his left arm. He is courageous and unruffled and refers to himself as "The Pretty Cure Hunter". He is incredibly loyal to Queen Mirage, even to the point of showing some feelings toward her. He defeated many Pretty Cures all over the world, including Cure Tender - Cure Fortune's elder sister. He was severely weakened after Cure Fortune regains her powers and she overpowered him. His Saiarks spread purple crystals and mines throughout the area. It was revealed in episode 41 that he is actually Cure Mirage's fairy partner. In the last episode, he became Cure Honey's fairy partner.
- Madam Momere (マダム・モメール Madamu Momēru?) is the fifth general of the Phantom Empire, though she only seems to target Hawaii. She is a flamboyant lady who loves it when her opponents argue among each other. She appeared in episode 28 as Alo~ha Pretty Cure's personal nemesis. Her Saiarks freeze the area around them.
- Saiarks (サイアーク Saiāku?) are the series' main monsters. They wear sunglasses and scarves, with the color of the scarves depending on which general summoned it. They were created when the general traps the victim within a mirror to turn their happiness energy into sadness. Their name means "worst." They can alter the environment around them also depending on who summoned them.
- Choiarks (チョイアーク Choiāku?) are a group of numerous underlings who work for the Phantom Empire. They don't speak proper words and they speak 'choi'. Their names mean "little or kind of bad ". They are much weaker than Saiarks. The Cures can use their Form Changes to purify Choiarks. They serve as a low rank of the kingdom.
- Hikawa Maria (氷川マリア Hikawa Maria?) / Cure Tender (キュアテンダー Kyua Tendā?) is Iona's older sister. As Glasan and Iona described, she was a powerful Pretty Cure and has a strong heart. She was defeated by Phantom while protecting her sister from his attack. In episode 37, she was freed by Queen Mirage and became corrupted. The Cures were able to free her from Mirage's control after a long and hard battle. She traveled to the United States to spend time with her parents and help the other Cures out.
- Sagara Seiji (相楽 誠司 Sagara Seiji?) is a 14-year-old boy, who lives next door to Megumi. Megumi and Seiji have been friends since kids, and Seiji understands Megumi's weak and good points. Seiji loves martial arts and diligently trains every day at Hikawa karate dojo. Although he's popular with girls, he has no interest in a relationship and wants to focus on his training. Despite this, however, he harbors a secret crush on Megumi and showed jealousy towards Blue due to Megumi's developing feelings towards him. Because of his mother's work, he and his sister, Mao usually have dinner with the Ainos'.
- Sagara Mao (相楽 真央 Sagara Mao?) is Seiji's younger sister. She and Megumi get along well.
- Aino Kaori (愛乃 かおり Aino Kaori?) is Megumi's mother. She was the one who taught Megumi to help the others when they are in trouble. Although her health isn't good, she always takes care of Megumi.
- Sagara Hiroko (相楽 寬子 Sagara Hiroko?) is Seiji and Mao's mother. She often drives trucks in other countries and has little time with her children.
- Masuko Miyo (増子 美代 Masuko Miyo?) is a reporter in the Happiness Charge Pretty Cure! universe. She is reporting about Japan's and other countries' Pretty Cures.
- Other Cures: In episode 8, it was revealed that there are other Pretty Cures battling Saiarks in different regions of the world, including North America (Bomber Girls Pretty Cure!), India (Wonderful Net Pretty Cure!) and France (Cure Aile). There is another one in Egypt named Cure Nile, but she has been defeated and sealed by Phantom. In the fourteenth episode, there are additional Cures from Sydney, Moscow, Rome, and London. In episode 28, the main Cures visit Hawaii and meet a new Pretty Cure team, the Alo~ha! Pretty Cure consists of two Cures: Cure Wave and Cure Sunset. In episode 30, it is revealed that Queen Mirage was a Pretty Cure named Cure Mirage.
- PreChanMirror (プリチェンミラー PuriChenMirā?)
- The Cures' transformation item (excluding Cure Fortune). Its name is short for "Pretty Change Mirror".
- LovePreBrace (ラブプリブレス RabuPuriBuresu?)
- Cure Lovely and Cure Princess' main attack item. Cure Fortune had one when she inherited Maria's old powers but lost it in episode 22.
- Triple Dance Honey Baton (トリプルダンスハニーバトン Toripuru Dansu Hanī Baton?)
- Cure Honey's main attack item. It has three modes: Baton, Ribbon, and Maracas. She can use it in both attacks and protection. She uses it in Ribbon Mode when she is in her Popcorn Cheer form and in Maracas Mode when she is in her Coconuts Samba form.
- Fortune Tambourine (フォーチュンタンバリン Fōchun Tanbarin?)
- Fortune Piano (フォーチュンピアノ Fōchun Piano?)
- Cure Fortune's transformation device.
- Shining Make Dresser (シャイニングメイクドレッサー Shainingu Mēku Doressā?)
- A box that kept the villains sealed away. The box was kept within the Blue Sky Kingdom until Hime opened it, releasing the Saiarks, Queen Mirage and her minions from their prison so they can attack. However, it is revealed that it also holds the powerful magic of the Shining Make Dresser powers of the box and the Shining Make Dresser's attack Happiness Big Bang. It also grants the Cures their Innocent Forms when their innocent feelings have peaked and soon after were able to use their strongest group attack, Innocent Purification.
- PreCards (プリカード PuriKādo?)
- The season's main collectible items, which the Cures use to transform and change forms. If happiness wells up within the fairies Ribbon and Glasan, Ribbon and Glasan's nose gets ticklish and a card is formed. When all of them are gathered, any wish can be granted. In episode 22, Lovely, Princess, and Honey have collected enough to grant a wish so Hime could resurrect her kingdom. However, she gave all to Iona instead to apologize for her mistakes in the past.
- Cure Line (キュアライン Kyua Rain?)
- A smartphone-like device, that the Cures can use in order to communicate with each other. Their faces appear on the screen when they talk to each other.
- Pikarigaoka (ぴかりが丘 Pikarigaoka?) is a city located in the Greater Tokyo Area and is the setting of the Happiness Charge Pretty Cure! series. It was the main target of the Phantom Empire.
- Blue Sky Kingdom (ブルースカイ王国 Burū Sukai Ōkoku?) is the homeland of Shirayuki Hime. It was occupied by the Phantom Empire after Hime accidentally opened the box named Axia. After Queen Mirage was purified, the kingdom was restored and all of its people were freed.
- Phantom Empire (幻影帝国 Gen'ei Teikoku?) is an evil kingdom that serves as the main antagonists' hideout in Happiness Charge Pretty Cure!. Its leader is Queen Mirage, but Deep Mirror was revealed to be the true one.
- Pretty Cure Graveyard (プリキュア墓場 Purikyua Hakaba?) is a location where Phantom collects the Pretty Cures he defeats. After the defeat of the Phantom Empire, the Cures were all freed.
- Pikarigaoka Middle School (ぴかりが丘中学校 Pikarigaoka Chūgakkō?) is the school that the Cures attend.
- Omori Rice (おおもりご飯 Oomori Gohan?) is a lunchbox restaurant and home to the Omori family, including Omori Yuko.
- Hikawa-ryuu Karate Dojo (氷川流空手道場 Hikawaryuu Karate Dojo?) is a karate dojo run by the Hikawa family and the residence of Hikawa Iona and Hikawa Maria. Sagara Seiji attends this school as well as a student of the Hikawa-style.
- Cross Mirror Room (クロスミラールーム Kurosu Mirā Rūmu?) is a special room where Blue usually resides and watches what the Cures are doing. There, they can teleport anywhere around the world. A similar room exists for Red where he watches over the events of the world as Deep Mirror.
- Happiness Charge Pretty Cure! is the first season of Pretty Cure to introduce other currently active Pretty Cure teams besides the main one, with the International Pretty Cures.
- The end of the season features a "passing the torch" scene with Cure Lovely and Cure Flora, the lead Cure for the next season. This is inspired by the Hand-Off Super Sentai tradition. Seasons following Happiness Charge Pretty Cure! continue this scene with its lead Cures.
Please refer to the main page Happiness Charge Pretty Cure! Merchandise.
- ↑ HappinessCharge Pretty Cure! celebrates 10th anniversary of Pretty Cure
- ↑ Confirmed that Doki Doki! Pretty Cure will run for 49 episodes
- ↑ Cure Lovely and Cure Princess revealed
- ↑ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-03/megumi-nakajima-megumi-han-star-in-happiness-precure
- ↑ http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2032679/full/
- ↑ http://stblog.stardust-web.net/nakajimamegumi/entry/detail/?id=35300
- ↑ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-01/macross-frontier-megumi-nakajima-goes-on-hiatus-from-music
- ↑ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-04/happinesscharge-precure-1st-ad-showcases-new-heroines