|Doki Doki! Pretty Cure|
|Original Run||February 3, 2013 - ongoing|
|Predecessor||Smile! Pretty Cure|
|Successor||Happiness Charge Pretty Cure!|
|Opening Song||Happy Go Lucky! Dokidoki! Pretty Cure|
|Ending Song||Kono Sora no Mukou|
Doki Doki! Pretty Cure (ドキドキ！プリキュア Dokidoki! PuriKyua?), loosely translated as "Heartthrob Pretty Cure", is a Japanese Magical Girl Anime series, the tenth and the current installment in Izumi Todo's Pretty Cure series. Produced by Toei Animation, the series commemorate the tenth anniversary of the Pretty Cure Series and premiered on February 3, 2013.
Confirmation and Development
Doki Doki! Pretty Cure was first revealed on October 25, 2012 after Toei filed the trademark at the Japan Patent Office for a variety of goods on October 2. and the official logo was revealed in the January issue of Kodansha's Nakayoshi magazine. The series will commemorate the tenth anniversary of the Pretty Cure Series in 2013, replacing Smile Pretty Cure! on its initial timeslot.
The key visual first revealing the Cure's look was a poster officially released by Asahi TV on 8 Dec 2012. The poster officially confirmed the presence of 5 mascots, one of them named Sharuru (4 companions that can become mobile phone transformation devices, plus a baby mascot), the lead character's name as Aida Mana, the enemy's name Jikochuu, and a key location in the story Clover Tower.
From the Asahi TV poster:
- Aida Mana is a girl who is always eager to do things for the sake of others.
- One day, when she was visiting the Clover Tower during her school's orientation program, an enemy named Jikochuu appeared suddenly, and tried to manipulate her inner heart! To fight this enemy, she borrowed power from a fairy named Sharuru, and a magical device called the Lovely Commune to transform into Pretty Cure!
- To protect the peace of the world, other legendary Pretty Cure soon joined her in battle! A mysterious baby also appears, making each day a "Heartthrob" experience! The 4 Cures, always holding "love" in their hearts, are battling for the world's fate!
From Toei Animation Website:
- Just when Mana Aida, second-year student at Ōgai 1st Middle School, was about to reach the observatory at the top of the Clover Tower in her town, a monster appears. Mana, who jumps into action without thinking, is met by Sharuru, a fairy from the Trump Kingdom. With her help, she transforms into Cure Heart! Together with her childhood friends Rikka and Alice (along with the mysterious Cure Sword from the Trump Kingdom), Mana protects Earth from the invading Jikochuu monsters.
Aida Mana (相田 マナ Aida Mana?) / Cure Heart (キュアハート Kyua Hāto?)- The bright and energetic student council president of Oogai First Public Middle School in her second year. She's a person who believes actions speak louder than words, and will often jump in to help others without even thinking about it. Both elders and youngsters around her believe in her leadership capabilities.
Hishikawa Rikka (菱川 六花 Hishikawa Rikka?) / Cure Diamond (キュアダイヤモンド Kyua Daiyamondo?)- The student council secretary in Oogai First Public Middle School. She's Mana's childhood friend. She was always protected by her back then, which makes Rikka always believe in Mana, but Rikka always protected Mana when she was a trouble maker. She is also one of the ten best students in national mock exams.
Yotsuba Alice (四葉 ありす Yotsuba Arisu?) / Cure Rosetta (キュアロゼッタ Kyua Rozetta?)- A student in Nanatsu Hashi Academy for girls, which only rich people can afford because she's the heir to the Yotsuba Zaibatsu. She's childhood friends with Mana and Rikka. She's a kind person, sweet, talented and gentle, but often flaunts wealth involuntarily.
Kenzaki Makoto (剣崎 真琴 Kenzaki Makoto?) / Cure Sword (キュアソード Kyua Sōdo?)- The royal guard of Trump Kingdom in parallel worlds. She came to Japan to find the princess after her nation was invaded and became a super idol and extremely popular fashionista. Cool and always has a strong sense of responsibility, but harbored remorse for feeling that she didn't protect the princess, and doesn't get along well with her new allies.
Madoka Aguri (円亜久里 Madoka Aguri?) / Cure Ace (キュアエース Kyua Ēsu?)- A mysterious Cure, who appears saving the Cures' life in the end of episode 22, and reveals herself as Aguri in episode 23. She used to be a Cure, who tried to seal away Selfish King, however failed to do so, causing her mascot, Ai, to turn into an egg, and Aguri rendered powerless, as Ai then was born, and finds Ai, Aguri can us her powers, but only with a limited time as 5 minutes. She is a kind, but is at points harsh. When coming to rules, Aguri is very wise.
Sharuru (シャルル Sharuru?) - Heart's rabbit-like fairy partner. The most passionate of all the four mascots, she has a passionate heart and always works hard. Sharuru could also turn herself into a human, taking the form of a young middle school student. She ends her sentences with "~charl!".
Raquel (ラケル Rakeru?) - Diamond's dog-like fairy partner. He is very reliable to the other fairies, much like his partner. Raquel could also turn himself into a human, taking the form of a young elementary school student. He ends his sentences with "~quel!".
Lance (ランス Ransu?) - Rosetta's bear-like fairy partner. He is the youngest out of the four mascots, and a little spoiled. Lance could also turn into a human taking the form of a young kindergarten student. He ends his sentences with "~lance!".
Dabyi (ダヴィ Dabyi?) - Sword's cat-like fairy partner. She is very independent, but she often worries about her partner. She ends her sentences with "~dabyi!" Dabyi is able to transform into a human, and acts as Makoto's manager under the name "DB".
Ai (アイ Ai?) - Ace's baby-like fairy partner. She is also called Ai-chan by the girls of this season, she is a baby mascot who was reborn as an egg by King Selfish's powers, later being a baby. She made her first appearance in episode 8. As a baby, she never says a word, but only smiles.
Princess Marie Ange (マリー・アンジュ王女 Marī Anju Ōjo?) - The princess of Trump Kingdom, who's being protected by Cure Sword before the beginning of the story. She is transported to the Human World and has gone missing, much to Cure Sword's dismay.
Sir Jonathan Klondike (ジョナサン・クロンダイク Jonasan Kurondaiku?)- A knight from the Trump Kingdom, who disguised himself as Okada Joe, a shopkeeper who sells Loveads of any kind, he has hope on finding Princess Marie Ange, whom he is betrothed to, with the help of the Cures.
Selfish Trio (ジコチュートリオ Jikochū Torio?)is a group consisting of three people, they appear early in the season. All the members of the trio have the power of making themselves into a Jikochuu, also called as Beast Mode (ビーストモード Bisuto Moodo?). The members are:
- Ira (イーラ Īra?) - A young boy who has light blue hair and batwings behind his ears.
- Pell (ベール Bēru?) - A middle-aged man who wears sunglasses and batwings behind his ears.
- Marmo (マーモ Māmo?) - A model like woman who wears pink tube hat and batwings behind her ears.
Selfish Deputies (ジコチュー議員 Jikochū Gīn?) are two people who appear as a big hand to the Selfish King. They both appear later in the series, and both appear in the same episode. They are stronger than the trio, and have the power to summon a Jikochuu together. Later in the series, they both die because of Pell's powers and later their souls are turned into rings called Blood Ring which are given to Marmo and Ira. The two deputies are:
- Leva (リーヴァ Rīva?) - A man, who looks like a clown, wears make-up and has a hat.
- Gula (グーラ Gūra?) - A man who is taller than the other members, he has spiky hair and has sharp teeth. He likes to eat different things, not just food.
Jikochuu (ジコチュー Jikochū?) - Monsters summoned by the villains of the series to battle the Pretty Cure. Unlike some other monsters, they are not made of objects, however have a related shape of the selfish thought.
Regina (レジーナ Rejīna?) - A girl who wears a black dress, has yellow hair and is a second in command of the Selfish Trio. She is the daughter of the Selfish King. Throughout the series her feelings change, as she befriends the Cures. However, as her father finds out, he brainwashed her, making her became a bigger enemy to the Cures. She has eye change, as blue — when she normal, and red — when she gets brainwashed, and becomes evil.
- Cure Loveads (キュアラビーズ Kyua Rabīzu?) - the Transformation and Attack Item of the Pretty Cures.
- Lovely Commune (ラブリーコミューン Raburī Komyūn?) - the Transformation and Attack Device of Pretty Cures.
- Love Heart Arrow (ラブハートアロー Rabu Hāto Arō?) - the main weapon of the Pretty Cures.
- Love Eyes Palette (ラブアイズパレット Rabu Aizu Paretto?)- the Transformation Device of Cure Ace.
- Love Kiss Rouge (ラブキスルージュ Rabu Kisu Ruuju?)- the main weapon of Cure Ace.
- Magical Lovely Pad (マジカルラブリーパッド Majikaru Raburī Paddo?) - the Pretty Cure's secondary weapon.
- Trump Kingdom (トランプ王国 Toranpu Ōkoku?) - An alternate world ruled by Princess Marie Ange.
- Oogai First Middle School (大貝第一中学 Ōgai Daiichi Chūgaku?) - Mana, Rikka and Makoto's school.
- Nanatsu Hashi Academy (七ツ橋学園 Nanatsubashi Gakuen?) - Alice's school.
- Clover Tower (クローバータワー Kurōbā Tawā?) - Where Mana first met Sharuru.
- GoGo! Jikochuu (GoGo！ジコチュー GoGo! Jikochuu?) - The Selfish Trio's hideout and their base in earth.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is the fourth series that has the fairy mascots transforming into Communes.
- The Selfish members are based on the demon of the seven Deadly Sin. Ira(Wrath),Marmo(Greed),Pell(Sloth),Leva(Envy),Gula(Gluttony),Regina(Lust) and Selfish King(Pride).
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is the first series where the Cures' individual purification attacks do not begin with "Pretty Cure".
- Doki Doki Pretty Cure is the fifth season where some of the Cures were friends before the series began.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is the first season where the lead Cure takes on the role of the Student Council President of her school.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is the second/third season to have mascots turn into humans.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is very similar to Heartcatch Pretty Cure!:
- Mana and Tsubomi, are similar with same theme color, and also they are good at studying.
- Rikka and Erika have the same theme colors, and cannot transform into Pretty Cures until the third episode.
- Itsuki and Alice have similiarties, they have the same theme colors, they also know how to fight.
- Yuri and Makoto have also similarities, they both are the first Cures to appear but counted as the fourth Cures.
- Jikochuus and Desertrians, are similar because they both show feelings and use people.
- Both seasons, have baby fairies, as Ai and Potpourri.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is also very similar to Fresh Pretty Cure!:
- They both start with a team formed by a pink, blue and yellow Cure (and in Doki Doki's case a purple Cure) and are joined later by a red Cure around the twentieth epiosdes.
- They both contain a baby fairy (Ai and Chiffon) that gives them special power-ups, has some powers of their own and the girls have to feed them using their henshin items.
- Their transforms items resemble a phones.
- Love and Mana both have yellow hair in their Cure forms (being the only main characters to have that hair colour).
- Setsuna and Regina are very similar in the way that they are villians who become the Pretty Cure's friend and turn good (in Setsuna's case, since she became a Cure and Regina did not).
- They both start with the original team using a no weapon attack and begin upgraded by the baby fairies into using an actual weapon and later on using a group attack.
- This is the first season to introduce four Cures, and then have a fifth one join them later. Before DokiDoki!, the three seasons with 5 Cures had all 5 from the start, and 2 seasons had a Cure-like character join the group.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is the first season to have its official LINE account and stickers.
- Nomally a Pretty Cure Series Would Have a group of Pretty Cures become famous around the city however the doki doki Cures never had any fame in their own city despite appearing in a few public places previous Pretty Cure series Yes! Pretty Cure 5, Fresh Pretty cure, Heartcatch Pretty Cure has gotten a famous treatment.
Please refer to main page Doki Doki! Pretty Cure Merchandise.