|Doki Doki! Pretty Cure|
|Original Run||February 3, 2013 - January 26, 2014|
|Predecessor||Smile! Pretty Cure|
|Successor||Happiness Charge Pretty Cure!|
|Opening Song||Happy Go Lucky! Dokidoki! Pretty Cure|
|Ending Song||Kono Sora no Mukou|
Doki Doki! Pretty Cure (ドキドキ！プリキュア Dokidoki! PuriKyua?), loosely translated as "Heartthrob Pretty Cure", is a Japanese Magical Girl Anime series, the tenth installment in Izumi Todo's Pretty Cure series. Produced by Toei Animation, the series commemorate the ninth anniversary of the Pretty Cure Series and premiered on February 3, 2013.
Confirmation and Development
Doki Doki! Pretty Cure was first revealed on October 25, 2012 after Toei filed the trademark at the Japan Patent Office for a variety of goods on October 2. and the official logo was revealed in the January issue of Kodansha's Nakayoshi magazine. The series will commemorate the tenth anniversary of the Pretty Cure Series in 2013, replacing Smile Pretty Cure! on its initial timeslot.
The key visual first revealing the Cure's look was a poster officially released by Asahi TV on 8 Dec 2012. The poster officially confirmed the presence of 5 mascots, one of them named Sharuru (4 companions that can become mobile phone transformation devices, plus a baby mascot), the lead character's name as Aida Mana, the enemy's name Jikochuu, and a key location in the story Clover Tower.
From the Asahi TV poster:
- Aida Mana is a girl who is always eager to do things for the sake of others.
- One day, when she was visiting the Clover Tower during her school's orientation program, an enemy named Jikochuu appeared suddenly, and tried to manipulate her inner heart! To fight this enemy, she borrowed power from a fairy named Sharuru, and a magical device called the Lovely Commune to transform into Pretty Cure!
- To protect the peace of the world, other legendary Pretty Cure soon joined her in battle! A mysterious baby also appears, making each day a "Heartthrob" experience! The 4 Cures, always holding "love" in their hearts, are battling for the world's fate!
From Toei Animation Website:
- Just when Mana Aida, second-year student at Ōgai 1st Middle School, was about to reach the observatory at the top of the Clover Tower in her town, a monster appears. Mana, who jumps into action without thinking, is met by Sharuru, a fairy from the Trump Kingdom. With her help, she transforms into Cure Heart! Together with her childhood friends Rikka and Alice (along with the mysterious Cure Sword from the Trump Kingdom), Mana protects Earth from the invading Jikochuu monsters.
Aida Mana (相田 マナ Aida Mana?) / Cure Heart (キュアハート Kyua Hāto?)- The bright and energetic student council president of Oogai First Public Middle School in her second year. She's a person who believes actions speak louder than words, and will often jump in to help others without even thinking about it. Both elders and youngsters around her believe in her leadership capabilities.
Hishikawa Rikka (菱川 六花 Hishikawa Rikka?) / Cure Diamond (キュアダイヤモンド Kyua Daiyamondo?)- The student council secretary in Oogai First Public Middle School. She's Mana's childhood friend. She was always protected by her back then, which makes Rikka always believe in Mana, but Rikka always protected Mana when she was a trouble maker. She is also one of the ten best students in national mock exams.
Yotsuba Alice (四葉 ありす Yotsuba Arisu?) / Cure Rosetta (キュアロゼッタ Kyua Rozetta?)- A student in Nanatsu Hashi Academy for girls, which only rich people can afford because she's the heir to the Yotsuba Zaibatsu. She's childhood friends with Mana and Rikka. She's a kind person, sweet, talented and gentle, but often flaunts wealth involuntarily.
Kenzaki Makoto (剣崎 真琴 Kenzaki Makoto?) / Cure Sword (キュアソード Kyua Sōdo?)- The royal guard of Trump Kingdom in parallel worlds. She came to Japan to find the princess after her nation was invaded and became a super idol and extremely popular fashionista. Cool and always has a strong sense of responsibility, but harbored remorse for feeling that she didn't protect the princess, and doesn't get along well with her new allies.
Madoka Aguri (円亜久里 Madoka Aguri?) / Cure Ace (キュアエース Kyua Ēsu?)- A mysterious, wise Pretty Cure who initally watched over the other four Pretty Cure to ensure they grow stronger. She reveals herself as Aguri in episode 23. She tried to seal away the Selfish King in the past but failed to do so, causing her mascot Ai to revert to an egg and rendering her powerless. After reuniting with Ai-chan, she is able to transform once again, but with a limit of five minutes. She is no longer bound by the time limit after having gained knowledge of her true identity, from the Eternal Golden Crown, as Marie Ange's light fragment.
Cure Magician (キュアマジシャン Kyua Majishan?) - The legendary Pretty Cure who was Cure Empress and Cure Priestess's partner. She is the original user of the Miracle Dragon Glaive and seemed to be the leader of the trio.
Cure Priestess (キュアプリーステス Kyua Purīsutesu?) - The legendary Pretty Cure and the original user of the Eternal Golden Crown. She seemed to be the most intelligent of the team.
Sharuru (シャルル Sharuru?) - Heart's rabbit-like fairy partner. The most passionate of all the four mascots, she has a passionate heart and always works hard. Sharuru could also turn herself into a human, taking the form of a young middle school student. She ends her sentences with "~charl!".
Raquel (ラケル Rakeru?) - Diamond's dog-like fairy partner. He is very reliable to the other fairies, much like his partner. Raquel could also turn himself into a human, taking the form of a young elementary school student. He ends his sentences with "~quel!".
Lance (ランス Ransu?) - Rosetta's bear-like fairy partner. He is the youngest out of the four mascots, and a little spoiled. Lance could also turn into a human taking the form of a young kindergarten student. He ends his sentences with "~lance!".
Dabyi (ダヴィ Dabyi?) - Sword's cat-like fairy partner. She is very independent, but she often worries about her partner. She ends her sentences with "~dabyi!" Dabyi is able to transform into a human, and acts as Makoto's manager under the name "DB".
Ai (アイ Ai?) - Ace's baby-like fairy partner. She is also called Ai-chan by the girls of this season, she is a baby mascot who was reborn as an egg by King Selfish's powers, later being a baby. She made her first appearance in episode 8. As a baby, she never says a word, but only smiles.
Princess Marie Ange (マリー・アンジュ王女 Marī Anju Ōjo?) - The princess of Trump Kingdom, who's being protected by Cure Sword before the beginning of the story. She is transported to the Human World and has gone missing, much to Cure Sword's dismay.
Sir Jonathan Klondike (ジョナサン・クロンダイク Jonasan Kurondaiku?)- A knight from the Trump Kingdom, who disguised himself as Okada Joe, a shopkeeper who sells Loveads of any kind, he has hope on finding Princess Marie Ange, whom he is betrothed to, with the help of the Cures.
Selfish Trio (ジコチュートリオ Jikochū Torio?)is a group consisting of three people, they appear early in the season. All the members of the trio have the power of making themselves into a Jikochuu, also called as Beast Mode (ビーストモード Bisuto Moodo?). The members are:
- Ira (イーラ Īra?) - A young boy who has light blue hair and batwings behind his ears.
- Pell (ベール Bēru?) - A middle-aged man who wears sunglasses and batwings behind his ears.
- Marmo (マーモ Māmo?) - A model like woman who wears pink tube hat and batwings behind her ears.
- Regina (レジーナ Rejīna?) - The daughter of the Selfish King, she is a spoiled, selfish girl. Throughout the series her feelings waver as she befriends the Cures. However, as her father finds out, he brainwashes her, making her become a bigger enemy to the Cures. She is later revealed, by Aguri herself, to be Marie Ange's shadow fragment.
Selfish Deputies (ジコチュー議員 Jikochū Gīn?) are two people who appear as a big hand to the Selfish King. They both appear later in the series, and both appear in the same episode. They are stronger than the trio, and have the power to summon a Jikochuu together. Later in the series, they both die because of Pell's powers and later their souls are turned into rings called Blood Ring which are given to Marmo and Ira. The two deputies are:
- Leva (リーヴァ Rīva?) - A man, who looks like a clown, wears make-up and has a hat.
- Gula (グーラ Gūra?) - A man who is taller than the other members, he has spiky hair and has sharp teeth. He likes to eat different things, not just food.
Jikochuu (ジコチュー Jikochū?) - Monsters summoned by the villains of the series to battle the Pretty Cure. Unlike some other monsters, they are not made of objects, however have a related shape of the selfish thought.
Selfish Proto (プロトジコチュー Proto Jikochū?)- The true main antagonist of the series. He was the entity who was defeated by the Cures 100,000 years ago. After Selfish King was defeated, Pell ended up become his host. He was killed by Cure Heart in her Partheon Mode.
- Cure Loveads (キュアラビーズ Kyua Rabīzu?) - the Transformation and Attack Item of the Pretty Cures.
- Lovely Commune (ラブリーコミューン Raburī Komyūn?) - the Transformation and Attack Device of Pretty Cures.
- Love Heart Arrow (ラブハートアロー Rabu Hāto Arō?) - the main weapon of the Pretty Cures.
- Love Eyes Palette (ラブアイズパレット Rabu Aizu Paretto?)- the Transformation Device of Cure Ace.
- Love Kiss Rouge (ラブキスルージュ Rabu Kisu Ruuju?)- the main weapon of Cure Ace.
- Magical Lovely Pad (マジカルラブリーパッド Majikaru Raburī Paddo?) - the Pretty Cure's secondary weapon.
- Magical Lovely Harp (マジカルラブリーハープ Majikaru Raburī Hāpu?) - The Pretty Cure's Secondary weapon.
- Trump Kingdom (トランプ王国 Toranpu Ōkoku?) - An alternate world ruled by Princess Marie Ange.
- Oogai First Middle School (大貝第一中学 Ōgai Daiichi Chūgaku?) - Mana, Rikka and Makoto's school.
- Nanatsu Hashi Academy (七ツ橋学園 Nanatsubashi Gakuen?) - Alice's school.
- Clover Tower (クローバータワー Kurōbā Tawā?) - Where Mana first met Sharuru.
- GoGo! Jikochuu (GoGo！ジコチュー GoGo! Jikochuu?) - The Selfish Trio's hideout and their base in earth.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is the fourth series that has the fairy mascots transforming into Communes.
- The Selfish members are based on the demon of the Seven Deadly Sins: Ira (Wrath), Marmo (Greed), Bel (Sloth), Leva (Envy), Gula (Gluttony), Regina and Lust (Lust) and Selfish King and Goma (Pride).
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is the first series where the Cures' individual purification attacks do not begin with "Pretty Cure".
- Doki Doki Pretty Cure is the fifth season where some of the Cures were friends before the series began.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is the first season where the lead Cure takes on the role of the Student Council President of her school.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is the second/third season to have mascots turn into humans.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is very similar to Heartcatch Pretty Cure!:
- Mana and Tsubomi, are similar with same theme color, and also they are good at studying.
- Rikka and Erika have the same theme colors, and cannot transform into Pretty Cures until the third episode.
- Itsuki and Alice have similiarties, they have the same theme colors, they also know how to fight.
- Yuri and Makoto have also similarities, they both are the first Cures to appear but counted as the fourth Cures.
- Jikochuus and Desertrians, are similar because they both show feelings and use people.
- Both seasons, have baby fairies, as Ai and Potpourri.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is also very similar to Fresh Pretty Cure!:
- They both start with a team formed by a pink, blue and yellow Cure (and in Doki Doki's case a purple Cure) and are joined later by a red Cure around the twentieth episodes.
- They both contain a baby fairy (Ai and Chiffon) that gives them special power-ups, has some powers of their own and the girls have to feed them using their henshin items.
- Their transforms items resemble a phones.
- Love and Mana both have yellow hair in their Cure forms (being the only main characters to have that hair colour) and they both represent love.
- Setsuna and Regina are very similar in the way that they are villians who become the Pretty Cure's friend and turn good (in Setsuna's case, since she became a Cure and Regina is part of the team without becoming one).
- Coincidentally, both Setsuna and Regina have red and black theme colors.
- They both start with the original team using a no weapon attack and begin upgraded by the baby fairies into using an actual weapon and later on using a group attack.
- This is the first season to introduce four Cures, and then have a fifth one join them later. Before DokiDoki!, the three seasons with 5 Cures had all 5 from the start, and 2 seasons had a Cure-like character join the group.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is the first season to have its official LINE account and stickers.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is the second season where the citizens of the main city and their families learn the Cures' identities. The first instance was in the 45th episode of Fresh Pretty Cure!, where the Cures revealed to their parents their identities before they went to Labyrinth.
- It was opposite of Fresh Pretty Cure. In Fresh Pretty Cure! people saw a lot of battles in which pretty cure fought but didn't saw them in final battle, in Doki Doki Pretty Cure, cures made only few public apperances before final battle which all people in the town watched.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is the fifth season where each Cure had their own mascot.
- This is also the series were a villain survive(Ira & Marmo)
- This is the only season so far to only have the main cure to do the final attack instead of having the whole team upgrading and attacking.
- There's a same name "Doki Doki" in Pretty Rhythm's Prism Jump of MARs "Doki Doki Halloween Night".
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure has a few mannerisms connected to the classic tokusatsu series J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai, namely a team of heroes based off of card suites who is joined later by a much more powerful fifth member.
Please refer to main page Doki Doki! Pretty Cure Merchandise.