Doki Doki! Pretty Cure (ドキドキ！プリキュア Dokidoki! Purikyua?), loosely translated as "Heartthrob Pretty Cure", is a Japanese Magical Girl Anime series and the tenth installment in Izumi Todo's Pretty Cure series. Produced by Toei Animation, the series premiered on February 3, 2013, replacing Smile Pretty Cure! on its initial timeslot. The series commemorate the ninth anniversary of the Pretty Cure Series.
This series has been dubbed into English by the company Saban as Glitter Force Doki Doki, making it the second season to be released in the US since Futari wa Pretty Cure. The first 15 episodes are available on Netflix starting on August 18th, 2017 in every region except Asia. The other 15 episodes are available starting November 10th, 2017
The Cures' signature motif is poker card suits, while the series' true theme is emotions and selflessness.The English dub, Glitter Force Doki Doki, had its first season debut on Netflix on August 18th, 2017.
Confirmation and Development
Doki Doki! Pretty Cure was first revealed on October 25, 2012 after Toei filed the trademark at the Japan Patent Office for a variety of goods on October 2. and the official logo was revealed in the January issue of Kodansha's Nakayoshi magazine. The series will commemorate the tenth anniversary of the Pretty Cure Series in 2013, replacing Smile Pretty Cure! on its initial timeslot.
The key visual first revealing the Cure's look was a poster officially released by Asahi TV on 8 Dec 2012. The poster officially confirmed the presence of 5 mascots, one of them named Sharuru (4 companions that can become mobile phone transformation devices, plus a baby mascot), the lead character's name as Aida Mana, the enemy's name Jikochuu, and a key location in the story Clover Tower.
From the Asahi TV poster:
- Aida Mana is a girl who is always eager to do things for the sake of others.
- One day, when she was visiting the Clover Tower during her school's orientation program, an enemy named Jikochuu appeared suddenly, and tried to manipulate her inner heart! To fight this enemy, she borrowed power from a fairy named Sharuru, and a magical device called the Lovely Commune to transform into Pretty Cure!
- To protect the peace of the world, other legendary Pretty Cure soon joined her in battle! A mysterious baby also appears, making each day a "Heartthrob" experience! The 4 Cures, always holding "love" in their hearts, are battling for the world's fate!
From Toei Animation Website:
- Just when Mana Aida, second-year student at Oogai 1st Middle School, was about to reach the observatory at the top of the Clover Tower in her town, a monster appears. Mana, who jumps into action without thinking, is met by Sharuru, a fairy from the Trump Kingdom. With her help, she transforms into Cure Heart! Together with her childhood friends Rikka and Alice (along with the mysterious Cure Sword from the Trump Kingdom), Mana protects Earth from the invading Jikochuu monsters.
- Aida Mana (相田 マナ Aida Mana?) / Cure Heart (キュアハート Kyua Hāto?) (known as Maya Aida in the English Dub) is the bright and energetic student council president of Oogai First Public Middle School in her second year. She's a person who believes actions speak louder than words, and will often jump in to help others without even thinking about it. Both elders and youngsters around her believe in her leadership capabilities. In Glitter Force Doki Doki, she is called Glitter Heart.
- Hishikawa Rikka (菱川 六花 Hishikawa Rikka?) / Cure Diamond (キュアダイヤモンド Kyua Daiyamondo?) (known as Rachel in the English dub) is the student council secretary in Oogai First Public Middle School. She's Mana's childhood friend. She was always protected by her back then, which makes Rikka always believe in Mana, but Rikka always protected Mana when she was a trouble maker. She is also one of the ten best students in national mock exams. In Glitter Force Doki Doki, she is called Glitter Diamond.
- Yotsuba Alice (四葉 ありす Yotsuba Arisu?) / Cure Rosetta (キュアロゼッタ Kyua Rozetta?) (known as Clara Yotsuba in the English Dub) is a student in Nanatsu Hashi Academy for girls, which only rich people can afford because she's the heir to the Yotsuba Zaibatsu. She's childhood friends with Mana and Rikka. She's a kind person, sweet, talented and gentle, but often flaunts wealth involuntarily. In Glitter Force Doki Doki, she is called Glitter Clover.
- Kenzaki Makoto (剣崎 真琴 Kenzaki Makoto?) / Cure Sword (キュアソード Kyua Sōdo?) (known as Mackenzie Mack in the English Dub) is the royal guard of Trump Kingdom in parallel worlds. She came to Japan to find the princess after her nation was invaded and became a super idol and extremely popular fashionista. Cool and always has a strong sense of responsibility, but harbored remorse for feeling that she didn't protect the princess, and doesn't get along well with her new allies. In Glitter Force Doki Doki, she is called Glitter Spade.
- Madoka Aguri (円亜久里 Madoka Aguri?) / Cure Ace (キュアエース Kyua Ēsu?) (known as Natalie in English Dub) is a mysterious, wise Pretty Cure who initially watched over the other four Pretty Cure to ensure they grow stronger. She reveals herself as Aguri in episode 23. She tried to seal away the Selfish King in the past but failed to do so, causing her mascot Ai to revert to an egg and rendering her powerless. After reuniting with Ai-chan, she is able to transform once again, but with a limit of five minutes. She is no longer bound by the time limit after having gained knowledge of her true identity, from the Eternal Golden Crown, as Marie Ange's light fragment.
- Cure Empress (キュアエンプレス Kyua Enpuresu?) is a legendary Pretty Cure which protected the world from evil. She is the original user of the Magical Lovely Pad and partner of Melan.
- Cure Magician (キュアマジシャン Kyua Majishan?) is a legendary Pretty Cure who was Cure Empress and Cure Priestess's partner. She is the original user of the Miracle Dragon Glaive and seemed to be the leader of the trio.
- Cure Priestess (キュアプリーステス Kyua Purīsutesu?) is a legendary Pretty Cure and the original user of the Eternal Golden Crown. She seemed to be the most intelligent of the team.
- Sharuru (シャルル Sharuru?) (known as Kippie in the English dub) is Cure Heart's rabbit-like fairy partner. The most passionate of all the four mascots, she has a passionate heart and always works hard. Sharuru could also turn herself into a human, taking the form of a young middle school student. She ends her sentences with "~charl!".
- Raquel (ラケル Rakeru?) (known as Rory in the English dub) is Cure Diamond's dog-like fairy partner. He is very reliable to the other fairies, much like his partner. Raquel could also turn himself into a human, taking the form of a young elementary school student. He ends his sentences with "~quel!".
- Lance (ランス Ransu?) is Cure Rosetta's bear-like fairy partner. He is the youngest out of the four mascots, and a little spoiled. Lance could also turn into a human taking the form of a young kindergarten student. He ends his sentences with "~lance!".
- Dabyi (ダヴィ Dabii?) (known as Davi in the English dub) is Cure Sword's cat-like fairy partner. She is very independent, but she often worries about her partner. She ends her sentences with "~dabyi!" Dabyi is able to transform into a human, and acts as Makoto's manager under the name "DB".
- Ai (あいちゃん Ai-chan?) (known as Dina in the English dub) is Cure Ace's baby-like fairy partner. She is also called Ai-chan by the girls of this season, she is a baby mascot who was reborn as an egg by King Selfish's powers, later being a baby. She made her first appearance in episode 8. She ends her sentences with "~kyupi!"
- Princess Marie Ange (マリー・アンジュ王女 Marī Anju Ōjo?) is the princess of Trump Kingdom, who's being protected by Cure Sword before the beginning of the story. She is transported to the Human World and has gone missing, much to Cure Sword's dismay.
- Sir Jonathan Klondike (ジョナサン・クロンダイク Jonasan Kurondaiku?) is a knight from the Trump Kingdom, who disguised himself as Okada Joe, a shopkeeper who sells Loveads of any kind, he has hope on finding Princess Marie Ange, whom he is betrothed to, with the help of the Cures.
- Trump King (キング トランプ Toranpu Kingu?) is the King of Trump Kingdom and the true identity of Selfish King. His story was revealed in episode 46, when Aguri used the Eternal Golden Crown to show the truth about Trump Kingdom's invasion.
- Selfish Trio (ジコチュートリオ Jikochū Torio?) is a group consisting of three people, they appear early in the season. All the members of the trio have the power of making themselves into a Jikochuu, also called as Beast Mode (ビーストモード Bīsuto Mōdo?). The members are:
- Regina (レジーナ Rejīna?) is the daughter of the Selfish King, she is a spoiled, selfish girl. Throughout the series her feelings waver as she befriends the Cures. However, as her father finds out, he brainwashes her, making her become a bigger enemy to the Cures. She is later revealed, by Aguri herself, to be Marie Ange's shadow fragment.
- Selfish Deputies (ジコチュー議員 Jikochū Gīn?) are two people who appear as a big hand to the Selfish King. They both appear later in the series, and both appear in the same episode. They are stronger than the trio, and have the power to summon a Jikochuu together. Later in the series, they both die because of Bel's powers and later their souls are turned into rings called Blood Ring which are given to Marmo and Ira. The two deputies are:
- Jikochuu (ジコチュー Jikochū?) (known as Distains in the English dub) are the monsters summoned by the villains of the series to battle the Pretty Cure. Unlike some other monsters, they are not made of objects, however have a related shape of the selfish thought.
- Selfish King (キングジコチュー Kingu Jikochū?) (known as King Mercenare in the English Dub) is the main antagonist of the series. He was the one who destroyed the Trump Kingdom. He is also the father of Regina.
- Selfish Proto (プロトジコチュー Proto Jikochū?) is the true main antagonist of the series. He was the entity who was defeated by the Cures 100,000 years ago. After Selfish King was defeated, Bel ended up becoming his host. He was killed by Cure Heart in her Parthenon Mode.
- Sebastian (セバスチャン Sebasuchan?) is the butler of Alice; he discovers the Cures secret identity with Alice due to security footage of the first battle at Yotsuba Tower and becomes the butler and confidante of the team, assisting Cure Rosetta and all the girls as needed.
- Cure Loveads (キュアラビーズ Kyua Rabīzu?) - The transformation and attack item of the Pretty Cures.
- Lovely Commune (ラブリーコミューン Raburī Komyūn?) - The transformation and attack device of Pretty Cures.
- Love Heart Arrow (ラブハートアロー Rabu Hāto Arō?) - The main weapon of the Pretty Cures.
- Love Eyes Palette (ラブアイズパレット Rabu Aizu Paretto?)- The transformation device of Cure Ace.
- Love Kiss Rouge (ラブキスルージュ Rabu Kisu Ruuju?)- The main weapon of Cure Ace.
- Lovely Income (ラブリーインカム Raburī Inkamu?) - The ear piece used by Kenzaki Makoto.
- Magical Lovely Pad (マジカルラブリーパッド Majikaru Raburī Paddo?) - The Pretty Cure's secondary weapon.
- Magical Lovely Harp (マジカルラブリーハープ Majikaru Raburī Hāpu?) - The Pretty Cure's secondary weapon.
- Trump Kingdom (トランプ王国 Toranpu Ōkoku?) - An alternate world ruled by Princess Marie Ange.
- Oogai First Middle School (大貝第一中学 Ōgai Daiichi Chūgaku?) - Mana, Rikka and Makoto's school.
- Nanatsubashi Academy (七ツ橋学園 Nanatsubashi Gakuen?) - Alice's school.
- Clover Tower (クローバータワー Kurōbā Tawā?) - A major landmark within town, owned by the Yotsuba Corporation controlled by Alice's family. Both Mana & Alice gained their Cure Loveads here and the fairies originally arrived at this point where the battle with the Selfishness began.
- Pig Tail (ぶたのしっぽ Buta no Shippo?) - Mana's house and restaurant.
- Oogai Town (大貝町 Ōgai Machi?) - The home town of Aida Mana, Hishikawa Rikka, Yotsuba Alice, Kenzaki Makoto and Madoka Aguri.
- Solitaire (ソリティア Soriteia?) - A curio shop and home of Okada Joe in the human world.
- Gogo! Jikochū (GoGo！ジコチュー GoGo! Jikochū?) - The Selfish Trio's hideout and their base in earth.
Differences Between Doki Doki and Glitter Force Doki Doki
- The names of the Cures are Americanized. However, Maya and Clara retain their original surnames of Aida and Yotsuba respectively. The Selfish Trio's names were also unchanged for the most part.
- Sharuru was renamed as Kippie, Raquel was renamed as Rory, and Daybi was renamed Davi.
- The Trump Kingdom was renamed to kingdom of Splendorius.
- The name of the Selfish King was changed to King Mercenare.
- The name Jikochuu was changed to Distain.
- Some episodes are actually supercuts of two episodes. For instance, episode one of Glitter Force Doki Doki is made up of the first two episodes of Doki Doki Pretty Cure.
- The Lovely Commune is called the Glitter Pad and the Cure Loveads are known as Glitter Charms.
- Okada Joe is now known as Johnny and Princess Marie Ange is now known as Princess Marie Angelica.
- The villains are based on the Seven Deadly Sins: Ira (Wrath), Marmo (Greed), Bel (Sloth), Leva (Envy), Gula (Gluttony), Regina and Lust (Lust) and Selfish King and Goma (Pride).
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure and Fresh Pretty Cure! both feature a card suit motif. Peach, Passion, and Heart are symbolized by the heart symbol, Berry and Sword are symbolized by the spade symbol, and Diamond and Pine are symbolized by the diamond symbol.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is the first season to have its official LINE account and stickers.
- Doki Doki! Pretty Cure is the second season where the citizens of the main city and their families learn the Cures' identities. The first instance was in episode 45 of Fresh Pretty Cure! where the Cures revealed their identities to their parents before they went to Labyrinth.
- Doki Doki Pretty Cure is the third Pretty Cure series to get an English dub, the first two being Futari wa Pretty Cure and Smile Pretty Cure!
Please refer to the main page Doki Doki! Pretty Cure Merchandise.
- ↑ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-19/glitter-force-doki-doki-listed-for-august-18-on-netflix/.119040
- ↑ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-10-24/doki-doki-precure-trademark-filed-in-japan
- ↑ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-11-26/dokidoki-precure-revealed-as-new-precure-with-logo